03 May 2013

Balsamic Vinegar Sauteed Brussels Sprouts

A year ago, if someone had told me I would be eating brussels sprouts (and like them!), let alone buying and preparing them myself, I would have thought, "Crazy! I hate brussels sprouts!"

I really did. And in fact, I still kind of do, except therein lies the rub. I had a memorable experience as a child, during a visit to my aunt and uncle's house, when I was made to sit at the kitchen table until I had eaten all of my brussels sprouts. If I recall, they were steamed. And they were terrible. Steamed brussels sprouts = I can't handle it. Paired with my stubborn streak (my mom's probably thinking, "Just a streak?"), the whole experience turned me adamantly anti-brussels sprouts. But over the last several months, I've taken a liking them roasted and, as I learned, sauteed. Where roasting gives them a crispy texture, browning them on the stovetop brings out a sweet nuttiness, and when paired with vinegar, it's just the kind of lunch that a rainy day calls for.

And so easy!


Balsamic Vinegar Sauteed Brussels Sprouts

Serves 2

16-20 smallish brussels sprouts
2 tsp olive oil, divided
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
pinch kosher salt
pepper to taste

Rinse the brussels sprouts and pat them dry. Chop off the brown ends, peel off outer leaves, and cut in half. Combine brussels sprouts, 1 tsp oil, the balsamic vinegar and the salt, and toss to combine. Heat the other teaspoon of oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat, and add the brussels sprouts mixture. Sautee for 8-10 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment