26 June 2013

Take it or leave it


I really like clothes. I'm no fashion guru, and I don't read Vogue magazine every month, but I really like to get dressed. It makes it very difficult to think about parting with things-- even the things I never, ever wear (anymore). Additionally, I've never left an apartment without planning to return to it at some point, and therefore had to consider that everything must go. It has to be packed to take with me, shipped to me, sold at a rummage sale, donated, or simply thrown out.

Thus, the challenge begins. I attempted to "begin packing" by throwing all of my winter garments in my suitcase. Essentially, my suitcase now has two jackets and a ridiculous mountain of wool scarves, none of which I feel I can part with. My suitcase has taken up a home on my little-used couch and my cat loves to try to sleep in it.


I like to avoid throwing things out for simple environmental reasons -- if someone else can use it and it's still in nice shape, at the very least I'll donate it. It only makes sense, since probably half of my wardrobe consists of secondhand apparel anyway. So, I've been compiling boxes to price and try to sell at a garage sale, and a few more to simply donate.

Anyway. Today marks the beginning of a concerted effort to pare down even more than I already have. I feel that this process is best tackled a little bit at a time.


More challenging and intimidating in the take-or-leave decision department are my books and records. I've worked at a bookstore for the last 4 1/2 years, and in that time I've amassed a pretty decent library of art books, records and other various history books and niche items that I'm hard pressed to get rid of, so logistics will prove interesting. However, I think that's a challenge for another time...



Days to Edinburgh move-in: 73

4 comments:

  1. It is getting so close! This was the hardest part for me. I know how you feel. ;)

    xo Lisa
    Making Life's Lemons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time's a-flying! Amazing how quickly summer is moving... can it already be nearly July!??

      Kate x

      Delete
  2. I don't envy you that job at all! Packing for long periods of time, especially in plane friendly luggage, is difficult enough, but having to part with everything you can't take sounds terrible! Good luck, I agree that a little at a time goes a long way. How terribly exciting to be moving abroad!

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that they have clothing stores in UK, but it's still difficult. Ha! ;)

      Kate x

      Delete