08 February 2014

Why it takes forever...

image image image image image

Any hardcore Harry Potter fan who visits Edinburgh surely knows about The Elephant House, where JK Rowling is known to have written a bit of her famous series. A large number of cafes and coffee shops like to boast that JK Rowling wrote some of the books in their shop... only a small number of these are actually legit, The Elephant House being one of them. But aside from some photos on the wall, showing her in the shop after the fact, you don't get a very Potteresque vibe about the place, really. You wouldn't even know it's anything very unique in that sense, aside from the fact that more tourists stand outside to take pictures of the front than any other place along that street. You do, however, have to go into the bathrooms. It's here the real power of the Harry Potter pilgrimaging fandom comes out. And it takes forever, if you actually have to use the toilet, because just about anyone in there has to take the time to write a message, or at the very least read them. Or take photos of them. ;)

I love that they are so varied. Many of them are just quotes from the books. Some of them are professions of love for Ron or Harry. Some of them are humorous, and some of them are heartfelt notes of thanks. Like one that read, 'The boy who lived gave me courage to go on living. Thanks JR!' or 'You are our childhood!' I love these messages. I admit to not being a ginormous HP fan (my sisters sure are) but I have read the books and I really enjoy the tale. The Elephant House is a study spot for me because their cafe is nice, the views out the windows wonderful, and the coffee tasty, but I'll never tire of these magnificent bathroom walls. So be sure, if ever you stop in for a tea or a scone (their bakery is quite good) then you should remember to leave your mark in the loo.

Cheers,
Kate xx

4 comments:

  1. Well, just added another place I have to visit once I make it to Scotland. Can't wait to leave my message, although by now I'm sure it's just one of many! So cool :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun! My little sister was here a couple of years ago and she made me look for her scribble, although I had no luck in the jumble of updates since then! ;)

      Kate

      Delete
  2. an interesting shrine for harry potter! didn't know such a place existed. i especially like the quote in the first photo. " it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live" - so very true.

    lejla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, it's definitely unique! Fans have definitely chosen some great quotes to decorate with ;)

      Kate

      Delete