16 February 2014

Sick and tired

image

Don't worry, I'm not going to start complaining. ;) I'm literally sick and tired, having picked up what I assume to be a somewhat mild case of viral pneumonia somewhere along the way in the last few weeks. Who's to say where I got it from either, but it definitely was more than just your typical cold. Last night I woke up a few times, absolutely freezing, feeling like something was pushing down on my sternum with great force. It was really lovely, like the scene of Beth in Little Women when she gets scarlet fever. Throw in some bizarre dreams and you have a really great recipe for a good night's sleep!

Viral pneumonia apparently isn't as serious as its bacterial counterpart, which requires antibiotics to get rid of and can manifest itself much more seriously. For me, it's mild, and there are no medications I can take, so I've just been drinking lots of water and taking an aspirin here and there to keep the mild headache and fever at bay. Viral pneumonia is characterised by slow-onset symptoms of achiness, fatigue, cough, sometimes a sharp pain in the chest, the chills, sweatiness or clamminess, sometimes a light fever and headache. And honestly, I've got all that, yo. Or at least did, in turn, but my T-cells are obviously at the top of their game because it's moving right along.

I went out for a brief walk this morning (snapped the picture above), but felt exhausted so I didn't last too long. I'm telling myself that as much as I would like to be outdoors right now, soaking up this rare sunshine, I'm actually perfectly content to have a good excuse to stay in, rest up, and do nothing but watch movies and drink tea. It's a good excuse to get some writing done, or maybe some fun reading, which I've been far too wrapped up in other things to get on with.

Sometimes something that seems like a bummer is, in another light, a little bit of a blessing.

What do you do when you're home sick? Any favorite movies, books, or soups?

Cheers,
Kate xx

7 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hope you feel better soon! It's never fun being sick, but especially when you have a lot going on like school and internships! I usually like to watch sappy movies or a Netflix tv marathon while ill :) P.S. I Love You is a personal favorite, ha.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge fan of sappy and/or rom com movies on sick days. ;) I'm glad you mentioned P.S. I Love You because that's been on my list for a while... perfect for this particular stuck-at-home situtation! Thanks!

      Kate

      Delete
  2. I usually watch LOTS of netflix! Well hopefully it will pass soon.
    Lisa | c/oMKE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH the new House of Cards season is up! ;)

      Kate

      Delete
  3. Feel better! I definitely go for books, movies, and TV, but it's tough to enjoy any of those if you have a fever and/or headache. Tea is always wonderful. My mom and I always used to watch The Sound of Music when I was sick as a little kid! Anyway, rest up :) Beautiful photograph, the light is dreamy on the grass and through the trees!

    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The morning light was really wonderful yesterday... and the sound of birds in the trees gets more and more sing-songy every day. Love it! And The Sound of Music! That's a real classic I haven't seen in a while.... :)

      Cheers!
      Kate

      Delete
  4. Hope you are feeling much better! Especially love this pic!

    ReplyDelete