25 December 2013

Merry Christmas from Edinburgh!

Fudge

Merry Christmas! From my little spot here in Edinburgh, I wish you all the best. It was such a treat to wake up and check my Instagram feed this morning, and see so many beautiful Christmas trees, creative gift-wrapping and lots of snow--all over the world! Not to mention some of the cheerful, heartwarming blog posts I've read lately as well.

As you may know, I'm spending Christmas pretty much alone this year because of my study schedule and wanting to be in Edinburgh for Hogmanay, their New Years Eve celebration. I'm headed home to snowy, freezing Wisconsin on January 2, so be forewarned... Christmas has hardly even begun as far as I'm concerned! But until then, my treat to myself was a load of fudge from the excellent (and super friendly) Fudge House of Edinburgh. What is Christmas Day if not an excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast? Let's get serious!

Even though I didn't put up any decorations and I haven't wrapped a single gift (YET!), I still feel thoroughly optimistic about the holiday. I'm thankful for having been able to see London decked out in its Christmas splendor, and to have been able to enjoy Edinburgh during this time of year as well. I'm thankful for the cheerful baristas at my regular coffee shop who wish me a merry Christmas as sincerely as I wished it for them, and for the friends I've made here, and the family and friends I'll be able to see in only a little over a week!

It's also brilliantly sunny and clear outside today (no snow). It's quite windy, though, but it doesn't seem to stop all the tourists in town! They brave the elements even today, when nothing is open! Well, some of the souvenir shops are open. I took a stroll around the block, and then down along Princes Street and back through the market, which is closed today. I've always enjoyed days like this, when everything is shut down, traffic is light, and there's nowhere in particular to be. If it wasn't so windy, I'd have stayed out longer, but hot orange spice tea was calling my name. And the fudge, of course!

Merry, merry,
Kate xx

Edinburgh view Souvenir Shops, Royal Mile, Edinburgh Market decorations Wreath Ferris Wheel

2 comments: