25 March 2014

So it begins.. sort of...

// via //

Dissertation. The icing on the cake, the cherry on top, the--oh wait, it's not like that at all, is it? Sure, next week is the last week of classes (quite possibly the last classes I ever sit in as a full-time student, but then again, that's what I said five years ago) and throughout the summer we're supposed to devote the equivalent of a full-time job's worth of research hours to this big paper due at the end of August. It's a third of my entire assessed work, so it's a big deal. I finally sat down with my supervisor and hashed out a few of my ideas, which at the moment are naturally disjointed, sprawling, and rather fuzzy round the edges. One does a bunch of reading to grasp the topic and try to formulate some sort of thesis, then continues to read and starts realizing all of the endless branches of thought, and then keeps reading to narrow down.

Read read read. But I'm feeling really good about this topic and the direction it's (so far) taking. It's only a shame I probably won't make it to North Carolina this summer, but one never knows. Fancy a research trip to the hot Appalachian wilds from mild old Scotland? ;)

One of my essays is due tomorrow, another one next week, and then a double-sized one is due in a month. I have nine days of my internship yet to complete (major delays, not too happy about it, but so it goes) but I look forward to being able to put all of this term's coursework behind me, get working on my dissertation, enjoy the summer weather, and oh, TRAVEL.

Cheers!
Kate xx

3 comments:

  1. Good luck to you! I'm finishing the last 6 weeks of my masters of arts in history and I understand how you feel! One paper after the next...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on writing your paper!! I know how not fun, and yet also fun, writing big papers can be! :)

    ReplyDelete